Many have already received their declaration. For those with digital mailbox who declared before April 2 without making any changes, the tax refund has even begun to roll into the bank account.

While for those who did not choose a digital mailbox, the income statement came in the mailbox by April 15 this year. Before you accept it and submit it, there are a few things you may want to deduct. We have listed the most common and popular deductions on the declaration.

Unemployed costs

If you are unemployed and have received compensation from a Swedish A-fund, there are some things you can deduct on the declaration. The same applies if you have received activity support or development compensation from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency.

If you fulfill the above, you are entitled to a deduction for travel that occurs when you visit the Social Insurance Office or the employment office. You can also make deductions for trips that occur in conjunction with applying for jobs in Sweden. In addition to the trips, you can also deduct traffic costs on the Internet and telephone and other expenses incurred in connection with the job search. All expenses in excess of $ 5000 per year are deductible.


If you need special protective clothing used exclusively in the service, you can deduct the cost of these. Examples of protective clothing are helmets, goggles, shoes with steel cap and hearing protection.

Clothes need special protective properties to be classified as protective clothing. These may be properties such as extra protection against corrosive substances or mechanical damage. Clothes that protect against moisture and cold that mainly come from causes other than the weather are counted as protective clothing.

You cannot deduct work clothes that are not protective clothing.

Car in service

If you use your private car in the service, you may receive a mileage deduction. You cannot deduct extra wear or fuel consumption due to external circumstances such as weather, heavy load or passengers. You also can’t get compensation if you get car insurance from your employer.

For 2019 you will receive $ 18.50 per mile if you use your private car. If you have a preferential car, you get $ 6.50 per mile for a diesel, while cars of other fuels give $ 9.50 per mile.

If you like to pick berries in forest and land, you can deduct sales of these. However, there are some simple terms. The berries must grow wild and must not be grown. You also need to have picked those souls and income up to $ 12,500 is tax free.

You can also deduct some of the expenses for amounts that exceed the tax-exempt amount.

Double accommodation

If you receive increased living expenses for a double residence, you can apply for a deduction. It needs to be because your work has moved to another place and you have kept the residence together with your partner or family in the former city.

In addition to sleeping over at the place of work, you need to have the minimum distance between the two locations longer than 50 kilometers.

Capital losses

Capital loss deductions could be allowed for the sale of the following:

  • Shares and securities
  • Housing such as condominiums, houses or summer cottages
  • Private assets such as gemstones or bank art

You cannot deduct loss when you sell items for private use such as cars or boats, ordinary art or when you sell things at underpriced prices.

Interest Deduction

You can deduct the interest rate on the loan if it concerns your own debt and that the loan is paid off. It must be interest that you have paid during the past year. Unfortunately, you cannot deduct loans for CSN. But it is good to make a deduction for loans from lenders. It can be private loans or quick loans, whether you have borrowed with collateral.

Interest compensation

If you need to pay an interest compensation for a loan, you can deduct the interest paid. Interest compensation is paid to a bank if you settle a fixed loan early.

Rental of private accommodation

If you rent out your private home, income is taxed at 30% as income from capital. Private homes include villas, rental apartments, condominiums and holiday homes. However, you can make a deduction of $ 40,000 per year for income from renting a home. If you rent an apartment, you may also deduct the monthly fee or rent relating to the dwelling. When renting a house, in addition to $ 40,000, you can also deduct 20% of the total rental income.

However, you cannot deduct if you rent to an employer or own company.

More deductions you can make on the declaration

As you can see, there are a lot that you can deduct. Unfortunately, many miss out on deductions that they are allowed to make. The most common miss is that you do not make deductions for trips to and from the workplace although you are entitled to it. In addition to the list we compiled here, there are many more deductions you can make. You can see them all on the Swedish Tax Agency’s website. There is also help from few with their declaration there.